Wednesday, February 10, 2016

My First Day


Today was my first day to "work" at the firm. Being unfamiliar with the downtown area (and my exit from the 202 being closed), I got lost about 5 times before I managed to make it into the office, somehow still on time. As soon as I walked into the 24-level high rise, smack dab off of Central, I was intimidated. The lobby was very large, spacious, and pretty empty. There was a man cleaning the main door, which I was later told was actually a statue.

When I got off of the elevator on the 14th floor, this was what I saw. The beautiful view of the Phoenix skyline (and the popcorn machine in the kitchen) told me that I was going to have a wonderful time here over the next two weeks.



After I met with my onsite mentor (and was told I had my own paralegal office!), he took me around to meet every lawyer on the 12th, 13th, and 14th floors. There were many different types of lawyers that I got to meet from divorce to construction to wrongful death. Everybody was kind and welcoming, offering to bring me along to any interesting things that they had going on. I'm even going to court to watch the closing statements of a trial tomorrow! Apparently, I am very lucky that I get to experience a trail, as the majority of cases settle before they reach the courtroom.

After that, I spent the next 2 or so hours helping the paralegal that I share an office with to put new file numbers on old files. Although this was not the most exciting task, I am very excited to be able to work here for the next 10 weeks and incredibly grateful to all the lawyers here at Dickinson Wright for giving me this wonderful opportunity. 




5 comments:

  1. Hey Isabelle! Sounds like your first day was really exciting. Do you think you can see some similarities and differences in the way media has presented the life of lawyers versus in real life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Isabelle! Sounds like your first day was really exciting. Do you think you can see some similarities and differences in the way media has presented the life of lawyers versus in real life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it is mostly differences, but I will keep you posted.

      Delete
  3. Hey Isabelle,
    Seems as if your first day was quite a ride! Out of the lawyers you got to meet with, did any one intrigue you more than others? Any specific field interest you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that medical malpractice is very interesting!

      Delete