Saturday, April 9, 2016

Bankrupcy

Yesterday I took a trip to Arizona Bankruptcy Court with an attorney, Katie, from the firm!

This was a hearing in front of Judge Ballinger, not a trial.
The case was all very complicated so I'm not even going to try to explain it, but for basics:
- A lady (Katie's client) invested money in a property, but was not given the second position power she was promised.
-There was lying involved where after the company filed for bankruptcy, the manager made a new one with the same name (LLC vs Corp.) and claimed it was the same company.

This was very interesting, but I was pretty confused since there were so many aspects to the situation at hand. However, I saw quite a few attorneys get yelled at by the Judge. It was pretty funny. It shows how different judges really do make a difference in how you should present your case. Katie told me that the attorney she was going against was really experienced and bills at about $600 an hour!!

After the hearing was over, Katie (who used to be a clerk at the courtroom) took me to the back area. I got to meet some clerks and assistants and see their offices and talk to them about their job! All the clerks seemed to really enjoy their jobs! I also got to meet Judge Sala and see his chambers that connect to the courtroom!

On Monday, a judge who used to work at the firm has offered to show me around the court and let me sit in on his trial. I can't wait to experience this and tell you all about it!


6 comments:

  1. This week sounded especially exciting! I wish I could've seen how things got heated up! I also think the media really emphasizes these kinds of incidents because they are so dramatic. Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are getting to experience so many new things through your internship!
    How do you feel the media portrays judges? The famous "Judge Judy" comes to mind, but I highly doubt all judges are like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The judges are actually quite nice and not as intimidating as I expected. I think that they just get frustrated when the attorneys are not organized or prepared, etc. Katie told me that this Judge is quite a character (not in a bad way) and is slightly more dramatic than others.

      Delete
    2. The judges are actually quite nice and not as intimidating as I expected. I think that they just get frustrated when the attorneys are not organized or prepared, etc. Katie told me that this Judge is quite a character (not in a bad way) and is slightly more dramatic than others.

      Delete