Monday, April 18, 2016

Family Law

I apologize in advance for the short blog post.

Last Monday, a Superior Court judge and former attorney at Dickinson Wright offered to let me watch his trial and see his office/talk to him. This was the first time I went downtown to the courthouse alone! I had to find which court building it was (I definitely did not park by the right one) and then I had to find the judge's office and buzz him. This whole process was honestly pretty nerve raking.

However, when I got there the judge was meeting with the attorneys from the trial and they actually came to an agreement right before the trial started. So the trial basically got cancelled and all I got to see was  the two parties agree to their new contract under oath so it would be binding/enforceable by the court. This was a child custody case in which the mother wanted to relocate the kids to Minnesota, but the father did not want them to move. What happened is that the kids are relocating with the mother, but they made a contract for visitation to guarantee that the father gets to see his kids.

Anyways, I was supposed to go back for a different trial on Thursday, but I got very sick and was unable to go to my internship for the rest of the week.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Isabelle. Sorry that you couldn't see the trial. Is the new contract made during the trial or was it prepared before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The attorneys agreed to it before so no trial was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cool that you almost had the chance to see the trial, even though it didnt exactly work out. Hope youre feeling better :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your sickness! Get well soon! Sorry you didn't get to see the trial either! Does this happen a lot, where the two sides meet an agreement before the trial? Does it save them any money to agree upon terms before the painstaking process of the trial?

    ReplyDelete